Sweet & Sour Stir-fry with Four Protein Options
This makes a lot – a really good filling meal for 4 people, but it can be downsized. The fresh Sweet & Sour Sauce is easy to make, is sugar-free and much nicer than commercial brands. However, if you are short of time, simply use a good ready-made version.
Protein Options. Choose from
- Vegan meat wok strips or pieces. These are a great cross-over food, especially if you’re cooking for a mixed bunch of veggies and meat-eaters. Look for Fry’s beef or chicken; Quorn Vegan Chicken Pieces; VBites Chicken (add these last, don’t fry in)
- Tofu. Choose from
- fresh tofu, pressed to remove extra water, fried in a little oil and flavoured with garlic and soya sauce
- Cauldron marinated tofu pieces
- tofu puffs (deep fried tofu chunks) from an Oriental store, eg Chinese or Korean
- Tempeh chunks fried up with orange zest, orange juice garlic and soya sauce – find chilled or frozen tempeh from good health food shops
- Soya beans– frozen green variety, eg Birds Eye or Tesco. They are sometimes called ‘edamame’ and are often available in Oriental stores also.
The picture displays the stir fry with organic brown rice, edamame beans, fried red chilli, corriander, deep fried tofu (bought frozen from the oriental supermarket) and then fried with chilli, a squirt of maple syrup and tamari plus pinapple chunks fried on a med/high heat with maple syrup. Mmm!
Did you know that V7 is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.